I think Gimme will do well because she's naturally agile and confident. Also we did a lot of early work on rear foot awareness. One point I will have to think out before class is what I will use for cues for the behaviors. So many of the cues which seem to go with behaviors are already used for other behaviors.
Exercises we'll cover include:
- Proprioception - walking through agility ladder and cavaletti work
- 4 in: dog puts all 4 feet in an object, such as a box
- 2 on: dog puts 2 paws on an object
- 4 on: dog jumps or climbs onto an object, where they may stand, sit or lay down
- pivot with 2 on (Gimme already does this)
- send around an object (Gimme is learning this already)
- over: dog jumps over an obstacle
- under: dog crawls under an obstacle
- through: dog walks between two objects that stand next to each other or dog walks through an object (without crawling), such as between two barrels or through a tunnel
- backing up (Gimme is learning this already)
- balance beams (walking, turns and stops)
- beginner's gap jumps: dog jumps between two obstacles, such as jump from a lower to slightly higher object
- moving obstacles: 2 on, 4 on and balancing on moving obstacles, such as a sway bridge
- beginner's sequencing: performing multiple Parkour behaviors in a row where the sequence should look fluent! For example: using a park picnic table with benches and garbage bin close by - dog goes around the bin, then under the bench, balances the length of the other bench and jumps onto the table.
- multiple behaviors with one obstacle: dog performs multiple Parkour behaviors with the same object. For example: using a chair and performing a crawl under, 2 on, 4 on and go around the chair.
In this sport they use the word "balance" to refer to walking/moving on an obstacle (like a dogwalk, or cement wall).
Gimme has been bored all day. Apparently the 2½ mile walk this morning was inadequate to suit her needs. So I'm going to do a little free shaping session and teach her to get all four feet in a box. I've already got a selection of boxes in several sizes we can work with. We'll start using a large box with low sides and then go to smaller boxes with low sides. Then will start working with some other objects.
Well... Gimme is sighing impatiently.